Boating safety tips around the marina
The great lakes of Ontario are the best place for water sports, relaxing in the sun and splashing in the water are great ways to make memories with family and friends. Water lovers must be careful near the marina and dock, though, to ensure that their getaways are safe ones. If you are hitting the open waters this season, don’t forget these safety tips!
This is the summer to enjoy the lakes, oceans and waterways of Canada. One of the most pristine places on the planet. With a little planning and education you can head out on the water with confidence. With boating remember that safety comes first and the fun will follow.
General boating precautions and safety tips
- Dock at a marina that has standpipes, fire extinguishers, good lighting, surveillance cameras and security measures in place.
- Always wear personal flotation devices when on the water, and require them for children and those that cannot swim.
- Do not swim near a marina since boaters cannot see you when they are trying to dock.
- Wear non-slip shoes on the boat and dock.
- Keep your boat in good condition with all equipment meeting safety standards established in your area.
- Ensure that the marina has the proper power voltage for your boat.
- Add fuel to portable tanks on the dock only; never on the deck of your boat.
Docking tips on Canadian waters
- Use forward and reverse at an idle speed when docking and moving your boat near the marina.
- Have bumpers, mooring lines and boat hooks ready before docking.
- Keep all body parts in the boat until you have come to a complete stop.
- Tie the line that holds the boat against the wind first when docking.
To avoid a potential fire onboard, inspect fuel hoses and containers on a regular basis to prevent the escaping vapours from going into bilges. Also, check the wiring and all appliances on deck for damage frequently. As a safety precaution, keep fire extinguishers on deck and fit smoke detectors to the cabin.
Insure your boat in with a pleasure craft policy
Finally, don’t forget to insure your boat. If you need help determining the best insurance for the size of boat and type of boating you do, call the marine insurance experts at Safe Harbour Insurance 1-877-731-1224.
Information kindly provided by Zywave, Inc.